Thursday, February 13, 2014

"Hugs & Kisses" Valentine's Blocks


Here's another craft that I think turned out really cute, my "Hugs & Kisses" blocks. Here's how I made them:

Supplies:
*Wooden blocks
*Sand paper
*Paint (optional, I didn't use any) and paint brush
*Cardstock
*Mod Podge and a paint brush
*Ribbon


For me, the best place to get wood blocks is Hobby Lobby. They sell bags of random wood pieces (I think they are actually called "A Bag of Wood") for about $3 with a coupon. I don't have a saw so this is the easiest way I have found to make these cute blocks. Because every "Bag of Wood" is different I have to look through the bag and see what I think will look good together. It takes a couple minutes for the "puzzle" to come together, but it always does. Also, no two project will ever be alike, which I think adds to the fun!

Once I have my blocks, I sand them.

Next, add a couple coats of paint. I usually use the little bottles of acrylic paint you find at craft stores. For this project I decided not to paint the blocks so they would match the "natural" theme my decorations have taken on {see here and here} and I thought it still turned out pretty cute!


Next, I cut my cardstock. I used my Cricut to cut out the letters. Then I traced the blocks and cut the paper a little smaller so you could see the wood around the edges. With the "H" and "G" I cut an additional piece, again a little smaller than the first.


Next, I used Mod Podge to adhere the cardstock to the block. I did this one layer at a time and let the Mod Podge dry between each layer.


I added a final coat of Mod Podge to the top of the blocks because I like the look it gives when it dries.


Once everything was dry, I added a couple bows. Did you notice how the heart cardstock and the bows match? I LOVE it!


The finished project! I love how it turned out!

Have you made a block craft before? What did it say?

No comments:

Post a Comment